I have an 18-year-old daughter who started college this year. She called me a few days ago worried because she mixing up letters and writing words incorrectly, asking if she should go to a specialist; since when she learned to read she often confused the "d" and the "b" when reading or writing.

My question is, can dyslexia appear and disappear in evolutionary periods?

Could we have missed a Dyslexia diagnose?

How will it affect her learning?



Dyslexia is a learning disorder of neurological origin, and people who suffer from it have it throughout their whole lives. The severity of dyslexia can vary from one person to another, or even in the same person, so the same person may have learned techniques to compensate for their dyslexia during their education, either with the help of a speech therapist, teacher or by themselves, but have periods when their difficulties with reading and writing are more present.


Dyslexia is not related to a lack of intellectual capacity and is not a barrier to success, so many people are able to prepare and study for the profession they want, and develope in life like anyone else. For this reason, there are times when a diagnosis could go unnoticed, if these difficulties do not affect, above all, at the academic level.


Some ways dyslexia can affect college-level learning, and some tips for dealing with them include:


At the university, as in previous educational stages, there are curricular adaptations for students with dyslexia, such as allowing the use of support material (computers with specific software for dyslexia, tape recorders, etc.), verbalizing aloud what is being showed in a presentation or written on the board, giving more time to do reading and/or written assignments that are done individually in the classroom or in a non-present way. Even so, to enjoy these adaptations, a diagnosis of dyslexia is necessary, and that the literacy skills are within the parameters established by the university. So, in your daughter’s case, she would need a complete academic evaluation, done by a psychologist and a speech therapist, in order to have a diagnose.


*If you want to learn more about children with literacy difficulties, go to my article “How to help my child with dyslexia”